Thursday, August 7, 2008

To open or to shut?

Adapting to apartment life has been much easier than anticipated. Our flat is great! It’s in a good location, well equipped and much more spacious than we remembered. But here we are in day 5 and I can’t shake my constant concern for the windows.

Since we are on the ground floor, opening a window in the master bedroom or living room means basically inviting street pedestrians into our home (kitchen and other 2 beds open to a courtyard). There are however various strategies used by Parisians in ground level apts to allow light and fresh air into their flats and still maintain privacy and safety. I was given a very quick run down of the strategies from our land lord, but I am constantly questioning, is my window close-down, overkill or not safe enough?

There options are as follows:

1.The open window - Landlord says this is a no no.



2.The closed window - glass only

3.The cracked window – can be tricky to secure properly

4. The vented lock up - locker doors closed only.




5. The unvented lock up - locker doors AND windows closed.

I haven’t made it through a night yet, without resorting to the most safe and quiet (still adjust to city noise) , worst airflow option – the unvented lock up.

BTW – buzz #2 from “la police” today. I sincerely hope, I can’t be named an accomplice if “la police” turn out, not to be legit. -mj




No comments: