Sunday, August 10, 2008

Getting to work... a 30-35min ride on the Metro to La Defense


The Paris public transortation system the ratp, which includes the metro, gets me to work at the Cognos (IBM) office in La Defense, door to door, in about 35mins (7mins walk to Alma-Marceau metro stop to catch the 9 Line to Franklin D Roosevelt, then onto the 1 Line for 7 stops to La Defense Grande Arche, then 7 mins to my office door). The cost is very reasonable (1.14 Euros per trip if you buy une Carnet de Billet which is a 10 pack). I am adjusting to no car, but my first sweaty metro ride to work was definately a moment to remember.
La Defense is a very cool place, and the Grande Arche is...well grand. This is a major transpotation hub, the centre of the hich tech business district (& other business), and also has a big "everything you need" modern shopping mall. This should prove to be quite handy for me finding lots of things in one place on the way home from work.
The people at the Cognos office have been welcoming, and I feel good about our choice to make Paris home base. -rbc

No comments: