Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Afternoon at the "beach"


In two days, the Paris Plage (beach) closes for the year, so the girls and I decided, we better check it out, before the city boats the 2000 tons of sand away, and we miss our chance, to run our little toes through Paris sable.

Since 2002, the city of Paris has shut down an expressway along the Seine, for 30 days in the summer and put up a beach and walkway. There are potted palm trees, cabanas, playstructures, sailing, excersise equipment, lounge chairs, fencing lessons and a swimming pool in a floating barge (very cool) - all at the publics disposal for free. Despite this diverse offering, (and much encoragment on the fencing by me) P & D's only interest was to dig in the sand (it was pretty soft sand).

The 2000 tons of sand, actually does not make for a very big *beach* (maybe 50mx5m), but the Plage runs for 3kms and is a lovely walk along the Seine, with stuff for to do and see (and places to pee) all along the way.

After our trip to the beach, I dragged my tired girls over the bridge, to see Notre Dame “to see Quasimodo. Did I say Quasimodo? I meant Quasimodo’s ghost. You can’t see him? Maybe you can only see it at night? ”




Photos top to bottom.
D on the Pont des Arts
P&D playing in the sand on the Siene
P & D at Notre Dame

1 comment:

D. Gillespie said...

I love reading about your adventures.

I love your pictures. I have never had a chance to see you in action like this. You should always post lots of pictures b/c you are a wonderful photographer.

Good Quasimodo move. Mom's are soooo tricksy.

darc