Sunday, May 2, 2010

The Ring Guy

A few weeks ago, we were out for dinner with some friends from Canada and in the middle of dinner, my friend (who will remain nameless), said to me “I am something to show you “ and she starts reaching into her purse. “You have a ring” I said. “Yes” she exclaims in disbelief “how did you know?”. The ring guy.


A visit to Paris is not complete without being hit by the ring guy. Here's the schtick. You are walking down the street minding your own business, all of a sudden a man bends down and picks a gold ring right in front of you. Holding it up, he asks you if it is yours. “Take it,” he motions, “my religion forbids me to wear jewelry”, or something like that. If the target takes the ring, the ring guy will ask for money for lunch and as far as I know that's the extent of the scam.


I have been hit at least twenty times by one of the ring guys and witnessed at least another twenty attempts. My friend was the first person that I know that actually took the ring. Rupert has always wanted someone to take the ring and takes great pleasure that he finally knows someone who did. Good work Sara (oops).


Please take it, it yours. I think its real gold... look at the mark.

No comments: