Saturday, April 11, 2009

The "ça va" moment

Each day after school, the girls and I go to the tiny park across the street from the school, on the Seine. There are four park benches on either side of the park and in general the French parents/caregivers sit on one side and the English on the other.

Yesterday, we were the second family to arrive. A French Mother with whom I exchange smiles and occasional Bonjours, was already there. I decided, enough with the French/English division and sat down right next to her. I opened the conversation in French and she immediately switched to English (which was much better than my French) and we chatted sporadically for the next hour.

Today as all the Parents and caregivers waited at pick up, I said to The French Mom “bonjour” and she responded with “bonjour, ça va?”. “Oui” I responded in surprise “ça va”.

Early on, Rupert’s French Tutor explained to him some basic survival tips for daily greetings. The golden rule is, greet EVERYBODY individually with at least a Bonjour. There is subtle nuance when you want to acknowledge someone as more than just “anyone”. These people you acknowledge with “ça va?”. Rupert says “The minute somebody throws YOU a ça va in group setting, magic energy passes between the two you and you are acknowledged”.

I don’t know about magic, but this was my first ça va outside of my tutor and I was pretty happy to receive it.

A courageous moment, a small cultural gap closed and a personal barrier broken:).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

MJ -- I loved this story and your entire blog. I bumped into Rupert @ Forum....was telling him that I found the blog somehow (from FB likely)...and spent an entire evening reading the whole thing. What an amazing adventure you guys are on....and what a wonderful collection of memories you've compiled here.

I love your writing style and the photos -- I really think you've got a book in here! You make even the simple things -- like the girls buying bread -- engaging. I loved the Thanksgiving dinner story and Rup's dedication to hockey (you can take the boy out of Canada but you can't take Canada out of the boy!).

Keep the blogs coming....we miss them! Cheers, Ruth.