Thursday, January 8, 2009

Hunting and Gathering

Our quest for firewood on the streets of Paris has become more than just stocking our woodpile for free, it has become, our mission.

With a good eye, the trees with their log bases (buches) can be found, but the base removal is our biggest challenge. The hammer didn't help, and after my "friend" referred to me as a "Pikey" for my logging activities, I started to become discouraged. The trees will soon be gone and some other lucky scavenger will have reaped the rewards. Just so you don't think I am crazy, there are others out there collecting the buches. I have not seen them, but I know they are out there. Many of times, I have spotted a tree (buche intact) on my way somewhere and planned to make a removal attempt on my way home, only to be disappointed upon return, to find the tree left bucheless.

On our way home from the library yesterday, P spotted a buche and encouraged the broken me to have another go. It had been more than 24hours since my last attempt, so I was well rested and P's motivational words were enough to encourage me to try one more time. I decided to retry "the twist" method. It worked! The stands are basically screwed into the trunk of the tree. About fifteen twists and the base was off.

After a quick walk of the hood, the girls and I came home on top of the world - four buches and high hopes for more tomorrow. Relic would have been proud.

1 comment:

JBC said...

i'm afraid i need picture for this one.