Friday, November 21, 2008

Hockey sur glace...at last

Well it finally happened. Last night I played hockey…in Paris. Fantastic!!! After months of searching the web, our family doctor made a couple of calls (one to a contact at the Canadian embassy – daaa), and I was on my way to Colombes for my first practice.

I took the metro (x2 transfers), a regional train, and grabbed a lift with a new team mate, and played with 15 guys (all French except for 2 other Canadians) in a “practice/scrimmage session”. They are a hockey club of mixes ages (mostly +30) that practice (pick up x2) a week, and have friendly matches every other weekend.

I was very out of shape, and puffing almost immediately, but must have showed a little Canadian moxy as they asked me if I would join, and could I play in their matches? :). They are the only club at their rink, so you can permanently leave your equipment in the dressing room - a nice feature! It’s a bit of a trek to get out there, but I am totally psyched.

My body, and mental well being will get a big lift and I can practice my French with my new teammates. Here is a link to the club website http://www.geocities.com/millepattesdecolombes/ which is two years out of date, but as Guy, my hockey guy embassy contact says, you’ll get the idea. More on the hockey sur glace scene in Paris later…

1 comment:

cherry said...

You sound better already!!
Work on the house going well --- we never did set up a communication channel for the Goodman place.

Love M&M